1. OUT OF BOUNDS (RULE 27)
2. WATER HAZARDS (RULE 26)
- Beyond a wall, fence or ditch bounding the course.
- Outside a line of white stakes.
- Within the Clubhouse enclosure, car-parks, putting green or practice area.
- On or over the road to the left of the 13th Fairway
3. GROUND UNDER REPAIR (RULE 25)
Marks left by tractors and green keeping equipment fall under this category but may not be marked.
4.OBSTRUCTIONS (RULE 24)
- Water Hazards are defined by yellow stakes.
- Lateral water hazards are defined by red stakes.
5.MEASURING DEVICES (14-3)
- Immovable – course furniture, gravel paths, service roads, sprinkler heads, staked trees, sleepers, flagpoles (13th Hole), fairway distance marker discs, lifebelts, water outlets, covers and bells. The ball shall be dropped within one club length of the nearest point of relief, not nearer the hole.
- Movable - Stones in bunkers, distance marker poles.
6. SPRINKLER HEADS (APPENDIX 1, A, 5. D.)
- Measuring devices may be used for distance calculation only.
- If the ball lies off the putting green and not in a hazard and an immovable obstruction on or within two club lengths of the putting green and within two club lengths of the ball intervenes on the line of play between the ball and the hole or
- If the player’s ball lies on the putting green and an immovable obstruction within two club lengths of the putting green intervenes on his line of putt.
Relief – mark the ball. Under a) above, the player must drop the ball, under b) the player must place the ball – at the nearest point to where the ball lay that is not nearer the hole, which avoids intervention and is not in a hazard. The ball may be cleaned when lifted.
7. EMBEDDED BALL (APPENDIX 1, A, 4. A.)
Through the green, a ball that is embedded in its own pitch mark in the ground may be lifted, without penalty, cleaned and dropped as near as possible to where it lay but not nearer the hole.
8. SLOW PLAY MUST BE AVOIDED (RULE 6-7)